Neighbors of Vega Baja Garden
320 East 109th St.
East Harlem, NYC 10029
- 12,000 sq. ft. of vacant land transformed into growing surface
- Clean up and removal of debris
- Installation of large planter boxes, and 20 yards of topsoil and mulch to an open garden center area
- Planted new apple trees and 30 hydrangeas and fruit-bearing bushes
- Vegetable bushes will be planted in the spring of 2017
- Artisan Gardens Landscape Construction
- Consolidated Edison
- Plant Detectives, Inc. Nursery and Garden Center
- Kevin’s Tree Service, LLC
- New York City Parks Green Thumb agency
With more than $12,000 in donations of in-kind of materials and services, volunteers transformed a previously vacant lot adjacent to the Carter Burden Center for Aging, into a new, sustainable fruit and vegetable garden and community park for The Neighbors of Vega Baja Association in East Harlem, N.Y.
New apple trees and 30 hydrangeas and fruit-bearing bushes were planted and in early 2017, new vegetable bushes will be planted. The renovation will also provide sustainable healthy food and environmental, economic, and social benefits to the Neighbors of Vega Baja residents.